Vanessa G. Nelson, President
Vanessa G. Nelson was born in Flint, Michigan; the second of 3 children raised by a single mother. Her upbringing was meager, but her mother always preached the importance of integrity and keeping a good name, as her mother stated, “a good name is worth more than money.” Her mother also stressed the importance of obtaining a great education, learning to be independent, and to “always treat others the way you want to be treated”. Vanessa listened to her mother and lives by those words today.
Vanessa became frustrated after witnessing various organizations suffer through massive lawsuits and have to pay huge non-compliance fees and penalties. She also noticed the resulting negative employee morale, as well as the interruptions and distractions in the workplace and how it affected bottom-line profits.
In an effort to help organizations protect hard earned assets and operate optimally, Vanessa founded Expert Human Resources in 2009. Every day she helps employers maintain employment law compliance, avoid workplace litigation, maximize human capital, create great teams, and reduce costs.
Vanessa has worked with multiple diverse companies including, non-profit, healthcare (medical and dental), government, transportation, manufacturing, hospitality, retail, construction, senior services, automotive, and education. Her motto is “Organizational pains are my pains; I do not succeed until the organization is improved.”
In Vanessa’s spare time, she likes to help in her community, drive her Cadillacs on quick vacations, and write books. She is the author of 101 Costly HR Mistakes and is currently working on a new novel.
Vanessa is a results-oriented HR Professional with a unique background in business management, spanning over 29 years at two major corporations in Michigan. She has successfully helped many organizations save millions of dollars via her consulting and expertise, which includes: HR audits, management training, workplace investigations, executive recruitments, management coaching, labor relations, policies and procedures. She also conducts seminars and speaks all over the United States.
She is known to be relaxed and easy-going, but serious when it comes to improving organizations. Her clients include: McDonalds, Henry Ford College, Genesee County 911, Mass Transportation Authority, Bedford Public Schools, Old Newsboys, Genesee District Library, Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority, Valley Area Agency on Aging, and Saginaw Transit Authority Regional Services.
Vanessa is also a sought after speaker in human resources. She has presented to several well-known organizations, including the Small Business Administration (SBA), Walsh College, Baker College and Michigan HR Day.
Education and Certifications
- Master of Science in Administration/Human Resources Management from Central Michigan University, and
- Bachelor in Business Management from Northwood University.
- Society of Human Resources Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- Certified Labor Relations Leader (CLRL)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
- EEO Contract Investigator for the Federal Government
Vanessa authored the following book:
Other publications include:
- “Do-It-Yourself Employee Handbook”
- “7 Easy Steps to Conduct an HR Audit”,
- “How to Write Workplace Documentation that can Stand Up in Court!,”
- “Human Resources and the Law Workbook”, “
- “How to Conduct a Compensation Study in 10 Simple Steps.”
- President of Elite HR Professionals Association (SHRM Affiliated)
- Advocacy Captain for the 5th Congressional District, appointed by the Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- President & Member of Flint and Genesee Chamber Women’s Leadership Committee (2013 – 2015)
- President & Member of Mott Community College Alumni Board (2013-2014)
- Member of Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- Benefits Partner of Saginaw Chamber of Commerce (2014 – 2016)
- Benefits Partner of Birch Run Chamber of Commerce (2015 – 2016)
- Committee Member of Ennis Center for Children, Foster Care and Adoption Center (2015 – Present)
- EEO Contract Investigator for the Federal Government
- Valley Society of Human Resource Management (VSHRM) Speaker – Top 15 Costly HR Mistakes –September 2018
- Birmingham Rotary – Speaker – Top 15 Costly HR Mistakes – March 2018
- Saginaw Valley State University – Speaker –Top 15 Costly HR Mistakes – February 2018
- Michigan Green Industry Association (MGIA) – Speaker: Top 15 Costly HR Mistakes – December 2017
- Flint Sunrise Rotary Club – Speaker: Top 10 Costly HR Mistakes – September 2017
- Rotary Club of Flushing, Michigan – Speaker: Top 10 Costly HR Mistakes – August 2017
- Fenton Rotary Club – Speaker: Top 10 Costly HR Mistakes – August 2017
- Grand Blanc Rotary Club– Speaker: Top 10 Costly HR Mistakes – July 2017
- Flint Rotary Club – Speaker: Top 10 Costly HR Mistakes – July 2017
- Baker College – Speaker: Top 15 Costly HR Mistakes – May 2017
- Michigan HR Day, Speaker: Top 15 Costly HR Mistakes…and How to Fix Them!
- Baker College, Speaker: Top 15 Costly HR Mistakes…and How to Fix Them! (2017)
- Walsh College, Speaker: Top 15 COSTLY HR Mistakes…and How to Fix Them!
- Small Business Administration Outreach Tour (Speaker for two (2) Breakout Sessions)
- Saginaw Chamber of Commerce (Speaker: Big Strategies for Small Business, Topic: Human Resources and the Law
- Michigan Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds 2014 Convention and Trade Show, Speaker: Human Resources: What Every Employer Should Know
- Birch Run Chamber of Commerce, Speaker: Affordable Care Act Made Simple and HR and the Law
- Michigan Back to Work Career Fair, Speaker: Writing Amazing Resumes
- Compliance Trainings, Instructor/Trainer
- Avant Resources, Instructor/Trainer
- National Associate of RV Parks and Campgrounds Annual Conference, Speaker: Affordable Care Act and HR and the Law
- Mott Community College, Protecting Your Business Panelist and Speaker: HR and the Law