Employers Must Use New Version by September 18, 2017
On July 17, 2017, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will release a new version of and instructions for Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. By September 18, 2017, employers must
use only the new version.
Compliance Dates for New Form I-9
The new Form I-9 will feature a revision date of July 17, 2017 (07/17/17 N). While employers may continue using a Form I-9 with a revision date of November 14, 2016 (11/14/16 N) through September 17, 2017, as of September 18, 2017, employers must use only the new version. In addition, employers should continue to follow existing storage and retention rules for any previously completed Forms I-9.
Changes to Form I-9
The following revisions will be reflected in the List of Acceptable Documents section of the new Form I-9:
- The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) will be added to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Section 2 and Section 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for an employee who has presented this document for Form I-9.
- All the certifications of report of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350 and Form FS-240) will be combined into selection C#2 in List C.
- All List C documents will be renumbered except the Social Security card. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on List C will change from List C #8 to List C #7.
Changes to Form I-9 Instructions
The following revisions will be reflected in the new Form I-9 instructions:
- The phrase “the end of” will be removed from the phrase “the first day of employment.”
- The name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices will be changed to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
Once released, the new Form I-9 and instructions can be downloaded here.